Pages

Tuesday 20 March 2012

Mothers Day Treat

This year, instead of chocolates and flowers, my Mothers Day treat was my longest run yet.  I also persuaded my daughter to come with me on her bicycle and we headed off across the local park, through town, and along the River Derwent. 

This did involve lots of puddles, mud, stiles, gates and some more mud.  We had great fun.  We took it in turns to chase each other, then we chased the dog, who decided to try and chase a pheasant. She gave up because they are not as much fun to chase as squirrels and as we are vegetarian, there's not point in trying to catch our dinner.



I have also been reading an inspirational book called Running The Edge which explains the psychology of how to transfer the qualities needed to be a runner into the other areas of your life.  It's a cross between inspirational stories and quotes with practical psychology.  I'm reading it through, then going to go back and do the exercises of examining different areas of your life.

The main thing I have learnt is that I do not want to live an ordinary life, I want an extraordinary life.  I have always known that there is a part of me constantly searching for something, but I don't know what that something is, I just know I am never satisfied.  There is a restlessness within me that running is helping with.  I am always looking for ways to improve myself and my life.  The authors, Adam Goucher and Tim Catalano, called this the Running Maven.

I am considering doing something that feels incredibly brave and way outside my comfort zone.  I'm currently researching this idea, so don't want to commit to anything publicly yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment